Monday, September 16, 2013

Connected Whole


Week 2 – Title:  Connected Whole
Reading Reflection On: “Access Future” Steven Downes

 
Steven Downes’ booklet “Access Future” has really great information that can help anyone make better decisions in life. One of the things that I have learned from the booklet is to learn things not in isolation but to learn things to see how they relate to one another or to see what patterns are being formed from the things you are already familiar with. For example, when I first learned to cook, my main concern was how to do I remember what to do for each meal. I then realized that there was a pattern when it comes to cooking. For instance, when cooking any type of meat I go through the same three steps which are to clean the meat, season the meat, and then cook the meat. In other words I follow the same patterns when it comes to cooking beef, turkey, or chicken. Learning this helped me realize that with anything you want to accomplish in life, you have to go through several steps beforehand. If you want to exercise, you have to eat healthy and warm up. If you want to go out for dinner, you have to shower, and get dressed. If you want a college degree, you have to take courses and study. Anything you want to do in life has several steps for you follow before reaching the actual goal you have in mind.  This is one out of many patterns that exists in life. Overall, learning things as a “connected whole” rather than an “unconnected part” as Downes would say has been such an eye opener, especially since I have always  thought  the best thing to do in life is to learn as much “unconnected parts” as possible.

Bibliography:

Downes, S. (n.d.). Access:: Future Practical Advice on How to Learn and What to Learn. Access::Future. Retrieved September 9, 2013, from www.cdlprojects.com/cmc11blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/AccessFuture.pdf


Tag:

#CMC11

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. One fact of life I am curious as to why there seems to be no pattern; parenting. If everyone is as individual as a snowflake, can there be a pattern to successful parenting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great question that you bring up. Unfortunately, I am not the right person to ask that question becasue I do not have kids yet.However,becasue I have parents, I can tell you from my experience that I have seen patterns occur throughout my family. For instance, grandmother is Catholic and she raised my mother be to Catholic. My mother raised me to be Catholic, but there are some things I, as an individual, didn't agree with so I decided to be a Christian. Though all three of us are "individuals as snowflakes", the pattern of believing in Jesus has continued through several generations due to the parenting we've received. Because of this, along with other examples I have experienced, I do believe there can be a pattern in successful parenting.

    If you would like more information on how you can create a successful pattern of parenting, I would suggest to speak to other parents who have several children and more experienced. I would also suggest to read books and articles on it such as the following:

    1) http://shop.nlpco.com/NLP-Successful-Parenting-p/516c.htm

    2) http://www.colorado.edu/ibs/jessor/psych7536-805/readings/barber_maughan_olsen-2005.pdf

    3)http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/s15566935eed1102_2#.UjsFmn_hfF4

    I tried to answer your question as best as I can. I hope this was helpful to you. Thank you for reading and have an exceptional, happy, and joyous day.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete